Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Web Sites for Teaching Spanish, # 1

Grammar Basics: www.SenorJordan.com - Senor Jordan's Spanish Videos

This website was created by a fellow Spanish teacher for his students and other teachers. He has a great supply of videos demonstrating different Spanish grammar concepts. I love this videos because he explains the material clearly with pictures and words on the screen. I think my students sometimes need both a break from my voice and a different perspective on what we're learning. He has a video for just about every basic Spanish lesson.

I love showing these videos in my class as a way to take a break from lecture and worksheets. When I stop to turn on the projector and turn off the lights, my students ask, 'Are we going to watch Senor Jordan?' They know where they can find the videos, so if they want to go back and refresh their memories on some of the videos, they can do that from home. He also has some other resources on his website that are easy for the students to find.

Spanish Vocabulary and Grammar: www.Quia.com - Quia

Quia.com is another resource website for students and teachers. I have only visited the Spanish portion, but there are also other resources available for other content areas. Teachers can create a variety of Internet activities and games and link them to their specific curriculum. Anything posted by teachers as public activities can be accessed and use by Internet users.

I use the specific search function on Quia to find the vocabulary and grammar topics I'm covering in my class. I have occasionally found activities created for my textbook. I would love an interactive whiteboard in my classroom, but for now I can use the overhead projector. I load the website and call on students to participate and I use the computer to select their responses. Students that enjoy an activity can do it at home on their computers.

1 comment:

  1. That website is a great tool. I went ahead and did a little quiz to test my memory on my high school Spanish. The immediate feedback makes it a great learning tool. Good find.

    ReplyDelete